General Rules for All Submissions
- Format all work using MS Word (doc or docx), 12pt., double spaced serif font (Times New Roman, Courier, Garamond).
- Title only on the work.
- Do not put your name or contact info on the work. Instead put your name, contact info and title of the work in the cover letter. This is so we can maintain a blind submission process.
- A short bio or blog/website links may be submitted at time of submission in the cover letter. If your work is selected then Creative Colloquy will ask for a picture and bio (if not previously supplied) to accompany the work in the printing.
- Creative Colloquy accepts submissions from all writers, poets, and essayists throughout Western Washington with a special emphasis on work originating in the South Puget Sound. Please note your location in your cover letter.
- Only submit one short story or poem per month.
- Breaking any of these rules will result in automatic rejection.
***Submission for our monthly online publication is always open.***
The City of Tacoma’s Office of Historic Preservation, Write253, Creative Colloquy, and Tacoma Public Library are partnering to offer this inaugural historical fiction competition to bring Tacoma’s history to life. For full submission guidelines and writing prompt booklet please visit write253.com/historicalfictioncontest/
- PICK A PROMPT
Select one of the four prompts. Which one most inspires your imagination?2. BRAINSTORM
Historical Detail: What specific details do you notice in the photos, did you read about in the periodicals, or do you already know about this time period? Write 5 down.
Place: What is unique or striking about the place? What landmarks or other features could help to provide a setting for your story? Write 5 down.
Conflict: Conflict is what gives a great story its edge. What are some possible conflicts that might emerge, based on the background that you read about in your prompt?
3. DEVELOP YOUR STORY
Voice and Tone: What character(s) can you imagine fitting into the setting and conflict that you have described above? How could this character’s internal conflict interact with the external conflicts in this historical moment?
Submissions to the Historical Fiction Competition should follow these guidelines:
Length. The story should be no longer than 2,000 words.
Bibliography. The document should contain a short bibliography that lists the primary and secondary sources that you used as inspiration.
Submission. The document should be submitted to the Creative Colloquy Website as a Microsoft Word document or a PDF. No other document types will be accepted.
Deadline. Submissions will be accepted between February 15-March 30. Winners will be announced by May 1st, and the reading will take place on Monday, May 21st at 7pm at Black Kettle Bites and Brew in Tacoma.
Prizes. Three winners will be awarded the following prizes:
Cash prize of $200 for 1st place, $100 for 2nd, $50 for 3rd, and 2 honorable mentions
Publication on Creative Colloquy website (www.creativecolloquy.com)
Opportunity to share your work at a reading on May 21st
Writers. Writers should live in Pierce County and be 18 or under (or enrolled in high school.)
Questions? Contact email@example.com
Please read the following guidelines before submitting your work for consideration.
- All genres and styles of work will be considered with the exception fan fiction and erotica. Keep in mind that short stories, memoir/novel excerpts and essays are encouraged but other work, such as poetry, will also be considered.
- We are looking for submissions that are 300 to 3,000 words in length. However, to be considered as a performer for our reading events, pieces must not exceed 5 minutes stage time (or about 1,000 words). Larger stories will be considered, within reason.
- Please only submit your final draft, no other drafts will be accepted. As much as we are looking forward to reading your stories, we are a small team and want to invest a fair amount of time and consideration into each story submitted. Those who send more than one piece of work for consideration each month will automatically be disqualified for not following directions.
We will contact you if your story will be featured on the site. If your story is not selected for one month we may still intend on posting it a following month. This will be determined by how many submissions are received.